What do you get when you take a contemporary avant-garde composer, psychedelic folkies, Indian sitarists and Japanese electronic musicians. Apparently you get the soundscape of Echoes or at least the music listeners thought was the best aspect of that soundscape. Listeners have voted and today we’ll hear the results of the Best of Echoes 2013.
A few comments:
Both listeners and Echoes staff picked the same number one album, Ludovico Einaudi’s In A Time Lapse, the listeners by a very wide margin.
Nine tracks from 25 Essential Echoes CDs for 2013 made it to the listener poll.
Five CD of the Month Picks made it to the Listener Poll (Nine made it to 25 Essential Echoes CDs)
It’s the 2013 Poll, but there is music on it dating back from one to forty years: Dead Can Dance’s In Concert, essentially there 2012 #1 album, Anastasis done live, Steve Roach’s Rasa Dance, a collection with tracks dating back to the 1980s, and Tubular Beats, a remix of Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells.
And who would’ve thought that a band who had a #2 hit single, would be on an Echoes list? We didn’t play Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky” but the album it came from Random Access Memories, came in at #9. Top Ten on Echoes has to be better than #2 on Billboard, right?
BEST OF ECHOES 2013 LISTENER POLL
- Ludovico Einaudi - In a Time Lapse (Ponderosa Music & Art)
- Moby – Innocents (Mute)
- Dead Can Dance – In Concert (PIAS America)
- Sigur Ros – Kveikur (XL Recordings)
- Ulrich Schnauss – A Long Way to Fall (Domino Records)
- Agnes Obel – Aventine (Pias America)
- David Bowie – The Next Day (Columbia)
- Ólafur Arnalds – For Now I Am Winter (Mercury Classics)
- Daft Punk – Random Access Memory (Columbia)
- Bombay Dub Orchestra – Tales from the Grand Bazaar (Six Degrees)
- David Helpling & Jon Jenkins – Found (Spotted Peccary)
- Darshan Ambient – Little Things (Spotted Peccary)
- Anoushka Shankar – Traces of You (Deutsche Grammophon)
- Steve Roach – Rasa Dance: The Music of Connection (Projekt)
- Arborea – Fortress of the Sun (ESP Disk Ltd.)
- Kitaro - Final Call (Domo Records)
- Boards of Canada – Tomorrow’s Harvest (Warp Records)
- Mike Oldfield – Tubular Beats (Eagle Rock Entertainment)
- R. Carlos Nakai & Will Clipman – Awakening the Fire (Canyon Records)
- Tom Griesgraber & Bert Lams – Unnamed Lands (Inner Knot)
- Mazzy Star – Seasons of Your Day (Ingrooves)
- The Civil Wars – The Civil Wars (Sensibility Recordings)
- Pat Metheny – The Orchestrion Project (Nonesuch)
- Bill Frisell – Big Sur (Sony Masterworks)
- Pat Metheny – Tap: John Zorns’s Book of Angels, Vol. 20 (Nonesuch)
John Diliberto (((echoes)))
GIVE THE GIFT OF THE ECHOES CD OF THE MONTH CLUB
Nine of the CDs in this list were Echoes CDs of the Month, and the other three could’ve been on this list. Join the Echoes CD of the Month Club now and you can put David Helping and Jon Jenkins’ Found under somebodies Christmas tree. It’s our December CD of the Month. You’ll get great CDs and help support Echoes at the same time. You can do it all right here.
Join us on Facebook where you’ll get all the Echoes news so you won’t be left behind when Dead Can Dance appear on the show, Tangerine Dream tours or Brian Eno drops a new iPad album. Or Follow us on Twitter@echoesradio.
Now you can go Mobile with Echoes On-Line. Find out how you can listen to Echoes 24/7 wherever you are on your iPhone, iPad or Droid.
Tags: 25 Essential Echoes CDs, Ambient Chamber Music, Best of 2013, Daft Punk, dream pop, EDM, electronic, Frisell, Ludovico Einaudi, Metheny, Moby, New Age, Progressive Rock, Space Music, Steve Roach Spotted Peccary, Top 25 CDs of 2013, World Fusion