Hans Christian & Harry Manx’s You Are the Music of My Silence leads the Echoes Top 25 for October. Their dreamy Indian evocations, the Echoes CD of the Month for October, floats like a seagull above a roiling ocean of post & alt-rock bands in the Top Ten.
Tycho, All India Radio, Balmorhea, Hammock, The American Dollar, Azure Ray and The Album Leaf are all artists that hail from the rock side of things, creating variations on ambient rock and dream pop. Yet it’s still music with roots in the sound of Echoes. In fact all those artists grew up listening, in varying degrees, to the sounds of space music, Windham Hill Records and ambient music. You can hear those sounds in the bottom half of the list with Dead Can Dance still holding on after their September CD of the Month with Anastasis, Paul Avgerinos with his new age designs, Kevin Keller’s ambient chamber music and the return of Michael Stearns with his score to Samsara.
THE ECHOES TOP 25 FOR OCTOBER
- Hans Christian and Harry Manx – You Are the Music of My Silence (Allemande)
- Tycho – Dive (Ghostly International)
- All India Radio – Red Shadow Landing (Inevitable)
- Balmorhea – Stranger (Western Vinyl)
- Hammock – Departure Songs (Hammock)
- The American Dollar – Ambient Three (Yesh Music)
- Azure Ray – As Above So Below (Saddle Creek)
- Darshan Ambient – Falling Light (Lotuspike)
- Kaki King – Glow (Velour)
- The Album Leaf – Forward/Return (The Album Leaf)
- Paul Avgerinos – Lovers (Round Sky)
- Kevin Keller Ensemble – The Day I Met Myself (Kevin Keller)
- Little People – We Are But Hunks of Wood (Youth & Progress)
- Slow Dancing Society – Laterna Magica (Hidden Shoal)
- Dead Can Dance – Anastasis (Pias America)
- Sounds From the Ground – Widerworld (Waveform)
- Michael Stearns/Various Artists- Samsara OST (Varese Sarabande)
- Nicholas Gunn – Thirty-One Nights (Spring Hill Music)
- Janel and Anthony – Where is Home (Cuneiform)
- Julia Holter – Ekstsasis (RVNG International)
- Nik Bartsch’s Ronin – Live (ECM)
- Lymbyc Systym – Symbolyst (Western Vinyl)
- Jesse Cook – The Blue Guitar Sessions (Entertainment One)
- Jeff Johnson and Phil Keaggy – WaterSky (Ark Records)
- Ooze – Where the Fields Never End : Revisited (Aleph Zero)
~© 2012 John Diliberto ((( echoes )))
SPECIAL OFFER FOR NEW CD OF THE MONTH SUBSCRIBERS
For a limited time only new subscribers to the Echoes CD of the Month Club will not only receive the November CD pick, Jeff Johnson & Phil Keaggy’s WaterSky, but an additional THREE previous CD of the Month picks absolutely free! With the Echoes CD of the Month Club, you get great CDs like WaterSky coming to you each month. Join now and you’ll get Watersky plus three additional CDs. Follow the link to the Echoes CD of the Month Club and see what you’ve been missing.
Now you can go Mobile with Echoes On-Line. Find out how you can listen to Echoes 24/7 wherever you are on your iPhone, iPad or Droid.
Join us on Facebook where you’ll get all the Echoes news so you won’t be left behind when Dead Can Dance appear on the show, Tangerine Dream tours or Brian Eno drops a new iPad album.