Queens of the Stone Age, reinvented, Leads Echoes Top 25
… Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age made Number One on the Billboard Top 200, but Olivier Libaux‘s Uncovered Queens of the Stone Age was Number One on Echoes. Libaux’s UNQOTSA , in which he creates intimate, melancholic versions of tunes from this raging heavy metal band, is one of the surprise albums of 2013. With an incredible cast of singers, including Inara George, Susan Dillane and Clare Manhchon, Libaux has made this music his own. It shouldn’t be too much of surprise though. Libaux is co-founder of the French cover band, Nouvelle Vague which has been turning punk and new wave tunes into Bossa Nova, lounge and folk songs for years. It was the Echoes July CD of the Month. You can read a review and listen to complete tracks here.
Coming behind Libaux is the unexpected collaboration between Jah Wobble, former bassist with Public Image Limited, and the ambient band, Marconi Union. They created a great CD of space dub music called Anomic. Give a listen to their Echoes Interview. Wobble is a riot.
Interestingly, eleven of the Top 25 artists have never made this list before. Here’s the complete list.
ECHOES TOP 25 FOR JULY
- Olivier Libaux – Uncovered Queens of the Stone Age (Music for Music Lovers)
- Jah Wobble & Marconi Union – Anomic (30 Hertz)
- Tricky – False Idols (False Idols)
- Signal Hill – Chase the Ghost (Sun Sea Sky Productions)
- Richard Bone – Images from a Parallel World (AD Music)
- Azam Ali and Loga R Torkian – Lamentation of Swans (Terrestrial Lane Productions)
- Still Corners – Strange Pleasures (Sub Pop)
- Northcape – Exploration and Ascent (SunSeaSky)
- Tom Caufield – Nature and the Constant Illusion (Bohemian Embassy)
- Roger Eno/Plumbline – Endless City/Concrete Garden (Hydrogen Dukebox)
- Lightning Dust – Fantasy (Jagjaguwar)
- Laki Mera – Turn all Memory to White Noise (Just Music)
- Brian Keane – Copper (OST) (Valley Entertainment)
- The National – Trouble Will Find Me (4AD Records)
- Three Fields – Sky (EP) (Installed Worlds)
- William Tyler – Impossible Truth (Merge Records)
- Bill Frisell – Big Sur (Sony Masterworks)
- Melorman – Waves (Sun Sea Sky Productions)
- Mree – Winterwell (Mree Music)
- Jeff Greinke – Scenes From A Train (Infectious Music)
- Seven Saturdays – Seven Saturdays (Lunada)
- Rachel Zeffira – The Deserters (Paper Bag)
- Arborea – Fortress of the Sun (Esp Disk Ltd)
- Sigur Ros – Kveikur (XL Recordings)
- Hooverphonic – The Night Before (Columbia Europe)
John Diliberto (((echoes)))
Support Echoes by becoming a member of the Echoes Sound Circle.
Think of the great artists you love on Echoes. Think of the informative interviews and exclusive live performances. Then, think of a world without Echoes. You can make sure that never happens by becoming a member of the Echoes Sound Circle.
Echoes is a non-profit 501(c3) organization just like your local public radio station. And all donations are tax deductible. You can support Echoes with a monthly donation that will barely disturb your credit card.
Join the Echoes Sound Circle and keep the soundscapes of Echoes flowing!